Sunday, April 17, 2011

RaceFest aka RAINfest Update

Saturdays are race days....when I have one on the books I usually have a mixture of excitement and nervousness during week.  This week was no exception as I prepared for a 10K road race.  Normally I check up on the weather once or twice, this week, however I watched it like a hawk.   Charlotte has been hit by some rather nasty storms complete with golf ball size hail recently.   The weather peeps were not painting a good picture for the race.   The officials even came up with a backup plan and sent it out.  

Rain.  Ugh.   My last 10K road race had a steady rain.  I knew that I could do the race in rain, but possible gusty winds and hail?  What if that came in the middle of the race? 

Interestingly enough I had several people ask me if I was still going to run.  I must have crossed some invisible crazy person mark because it really didn't occur to me not to show up.  I found this interesting as I can assure you last spring when I saw a runner in the rain I would think to myself "idiot".  Hmm, actually when it is raining really hard I still think that.   In the case of the race though, hey I picked up the shirt, I HAVE to go.

It turned out the weather was about like it was for my Greenville race.  Wet but not too overwhelming.  When I crossed the finish line it let loose for a few minutes, then it went light again.  I did feel sorry for those half-marathon runners because I think they had it worse.

All in all my results were ok - I did not meet my target time.  I struggled after mile 4 and a lot of that was mental.   I do however need to carry my own water on these longer runs.  The water stops are killing me and I live too much for them.  I lose my rhythm (if i have it in the first place) and that's when that pesky voice is screaming WALK WALK I'm tired!  So next time around gotta take my own.  I also need to find better ways of beating that voice back with a stick!

Racefest gave us all medals which is cool because this is the only way I will get one.  ;-)


I am collect quite the little stack of numbers though....




Next race is the Riverbound series 10K trail run.  Lots of training before then....

No comments:

Post a Comment