Sunday, April 10, 2011

Race, Struggle, Race

It has been a little while since the update.   Let's see if I can catch everyone up. 

I completed the first race in the RiverBound series.  It was an 8K trail and I did ok.  Not great but ok.    The weather was nice and there was no FACEPLANTing.  Remember the goals people!  After that race however I had to add a new rule that involved not passing out.   Hello hydration and a little problem with anemia.   Back on those supplements!

After the 8K trail I started to really struggle.  It seems I get off plan when I go out of town or when work life gets more intense.  I also was having a lot of allergy problems....and it was hard adjusting to the warmer weather.   This is important because I felt like I was sliding backwards.  Actually I was sliding backwards - numbers don't lie.   As these races increase in distance, the bottom line is that you either make the commitment or you don't.   According to Kelly the transition from 10K to the 15K is a huge step.  If I had stayed in my current mindset, things weren't going to look good for me.  I completed a 10K trail and wasn't happy with my time either.   There were a couple people that actually quit after the first trail section but at least I finished.

All in all I had to take a step back.   Last year at this time I was barely into physical therapy.  I could barely stand to walk a lot or sit for a long time much less run.   I have completed several 5k races, 8k races and even two 10K races.  Not bad compared to last year.  

Now is the time to commit to being serious about this RiverBound series. The next RiverBound trail race is in May- a 10K.  With Kelly and all my other runner friends (Tom, Paul, Dave, Kirk) I can find my way for improvement.  I'm armed wth a new training plan and am paying more intention to my diet.

Next up - 10K Racefest Road Race in Charlotte next Saturday.....Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment