Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Reedy River Race - I went, I ran, I conquered



Last Saturday I participated in my first 10K run.  I was VERY nervous about this race.  As you may remember, my little brother wanted me to join him as this was his first race.  I thought he was going to sign up for the 5K but noooooo  he wanted to do the 10K.

As the race got closer it was obvious it was going to be raining.  Ugh.  I had a bad training session on Wednesday.  Ugh.  Was I going to be ready?  Well I could not back out.  After all, little brother was counting on me.

He called me while I was driving down and told me he got his packet.  I asked him what he was planning on wearing to run in.   He said a Tshirt and gym shorts.  I stopped by the Nike outlet and got him a couple of dry wick shirts.  He was thrilled and immediately tried one on.

Race day came and so did the rain.  Lucky for us it was light but steady.  I could tell he was nervous but we when lined up he was focusing. Gone was the smack talk about how he was going to kick my ass.  I never claimed I could kick his just that I was going to run my own race and we would meet at the finish line.  Then we were off.....

I was determined not to stop at the first water station and once I went by it I got into a groove.  At 3.2 mark I was same time as my PR for a road 5K so I was on cloud nine.  The run was thru a park at that point and it was quite pretty.   I made it to the next water stop at 4.97 and walked it thru then started up again.   That last hill seemed like a mountain but when I saw the finish line for the first time I still had a little juice left and sprinted the last few seconds.  Yay me.

The next day our names were in the paper.  Little brother was so proud....even though we both were towards the back of the pack.  It didn't matter to me as I beat my target time and it didn't matter to him...cause he beat his big sister.  :-)

I leave you with a pic of little brother as he approached the finish line.


No comments:

Post a Comment